feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Google +1: Reviews when You Need Them?

Labels: ,

Well, keeping up with Google is a real chore at times and a new, just launched program entitled “Google +1? has entered the online social mileu in the last few days. And what do I think? Ummm…well, here’s the skinny on this attempt by Google to try to IMHO, institute a new “social” indicator into their web results.

First, do go to that link and look over the video that explains what it is Google is attempting to “do” by instituting such a new method for those of us who wish to “review” a site, can do so. When you’re done that, come on back….

Back? Okay, so, what’d you learn? Did you hear the comment that “when you click +1, you’re telling your friends etc, that this is something you should check out!” In other words, you’re reviewing the link and offering up a postive review…least that’s how I read this….it’s a method for Google to collect reviews for web result links.

Here’s a quick sceenshot of what I see when I’m “in” the test program and have made a search…i.e. the new +1 button is now there — click to enlarge…

Here’s a quick screenshot of what I get (after enrolling in this test and making a click or two) here — click to enlarge…

Okay, so what you ask? Yes I do see the new bluish +1 buttons there on the far left hand side of the web results URLs…and I note that below it says “You +1'd this”…but so? IMHO, the addition of this is a “nice try” for Google, but I also think that there are already folks out there trying to “game” this new social ranking tool and that’s a worry always. I’ll wait and see, of course…but will be watching carefully, eh….as should all SMBs out there!

Well, let’s go a step further shall we? Google says this about this new program…”we will record information about your +1 activity in order to provide you and other users with a better experience on Google services…”

Oh, by the way, this whole area, i.e. the +1 reviews is all controlled by your own Google Profile area…here’s my own for instance for you to see what I’ve setup and your own will be similar of course…you can not keep those reviews a secret either, as the program is totally open to the web results searcher. Anything you therefore review by clicking on the +1 icon in a web results page WILL be indexed by Google and WILL be available for all others to see if that URL comes up again in a later search.

So, your comments are open for all to see….which, if you think about it, is a good thing, eh! Which gets me back to my point here….which is

So….think about using this…it’s an attempt as I said for Google to “move” into the social stratosphere…and from my own tinkering with same over the past couple of days, it’s interesting to say the least!

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!




0 comments:

Post a Comment